Skip to main content

K19 Widowmaker Review




What I liked: K-19 was made by National Geographic so falls in the very very small genre of awesome dramatized almost documentary thing. Going it to the movie I did not know the story of the submarine and so foolishly assumed that the widowmaker would be attacking other boats. Actually this boat was the embodiment of Murphy’s Law: Launched too soon, this early model nuclear sub encountered every disaster possible. Unbelievably, according to the internet nearly all of the incidents actually happened. Also surprising, it is entirely believable in contrast to the series of disasters encountered by U-574. While I was not particularly invested in any of the characters their plight was compellingly pitiful. And despite my feelings about the characters, I felt like their interactions with each other were convincing and engaging. I really liked the epilogue, the acting was better and I was impressed with the old person makeup. I thought that the acting was the best and As a submarine movie this naturally stacks up against U-574 and Hunt for the Red October. In that comparison, this movie achieves with flying colors everything that U-574 aspired to. There is patriotism and compromise, there is disaster and self sacrifice there are submarines. All are done better in this movie. K-19 is the Hunt for the Red October if there really were  a terrible accident instead of a defecting naval officer. This makes it darker, sadder, and actually more stressful. It is an almost documentary so actually they could all die, whereas we all know that Jack Ryan will always win.
What I didn’t: The accents. They are Russian, presumably speaking Russian. They would not have Russian accents. Plus the actors, especially Harrison Ford, are inconsistent and bad at the accent. Radiation Sickness, this is now my number 1 reason for never wanting to work on a submarine (the previous reason was hull breaches followed by enclosed spaces and no windows). I can’t really say that the nuclear reactor should have had no effect on the people since that would be both historically and scientifically inaccurate, but it does make my skin crawl which reminds me to be grateful that my skin is still attached. For a film made by National Geographic there were disappointingly few wide angle beautiful scenery shots. I feel like the movie should have lived up to the name of the producer and delivered cool filmography of the the glaciers or the ocean or something. I found the captain’s character confusing he starts off like the coach in almost every sports movie, push the team until the break because then they will be able to perform under any pressure. Then transitions to and egotistical maniac. Finally, inexplicably, coming to rest on the harsh but loving father figure. All the personality shifts seemed very sudden. Ra’s al Guhl was the executive officer on the submarine, I couldn’t help feeling that this did not bode well for civilization.
Who should watch this: Not anyone who will work closely with radioactivity, or for the Russians, or in enclosed spaces. I think it is a very good accompaniment to Hunt for the Red October.
Would I watch it again? I would have to be in the right mood. It was exciting the first time but would probably be less so a second time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ready Player One Review

What I liked: I bet all of the developers loved making this film, I saw so many video game and movie references in the background of scenes. I bet all the developers just inserted their favorites like the ninja turtles, a whole platoon of halo soldiers, and orcs. That it was a video game made it possible and exciting to have all kinds of absolutely random physics and logic defying things happen. Obviously, I loved the T. Rex and who would not enjoy seeing Mechagodzilla or a cyborg orc driving a monster truck? Early in the movie they made good use of the video game architecture in a way that reminded me a bit of secret rooms in super mario. The characters visit the world of the Shining, which was amazing and hilarious. I loved the variety of characters, vehicles and weapons that we get to see and it is more fun (at least for me) that they draw from more than strictly the 1980's. I also really liked the music, for the most part the selections were great for the scenes. The book was

Solo Reveiw

What I liked: The architecture of a heist movie has 4 stages: stage 1 explain how hard the job is, stage 2 come up with a ridiculously elaborate plan to accomplish the job and acquire hard to find equipment, stage 3 execute the plan but something goes terribly wrong, stage 4 sneaky twist and huge pay off. The Solo movie takes the bold move of streamlining the first two and a half steps, picking up with stage 3.5 "Something goes terribly wrong". This saves everyone the slow wind up to the actual action. This saved time translates into a movie with not one but all the heists. We have grand theft, customs evasion, train robbery, vault robbery, the classic hustle, and of course smuggling. I guess they may have tried to crowd too a little much in because they also almost always skip stage 4. This stage skipping also means that we don't know if the things they are doing are actually hard or they are just incompetent. I'm surprised more heist movies don't explore this

Wrinkle in Time Review

What I liked: I liked Charles Wallace, that kid was funny. I liked that the ladies in crazy dresses were warriors and that the kids were warriors too. You know me I'm all about a good action movie with awesome fighting, but I liked that at least in this universe the defining characteristics of warriors were compassion, kindness, and love. Similarly, I liked that the bad guys weren't launching a massive military conquest of the universe, I mean everyone is doing that these days. Surprisingly, I liked the Mrs's dresses. They were crazy and over the top but it was fun that they changed with every teleportation and that they were completely absurd. The outfits were rather like the Mrs's wearing them, over the top and fantastical. Knowing all of them from other shows I may have had some unfulfilled expectations. At no point did anyone say "You get a wrinkle, and you get a wrinkle, Everyone gets a wrinkle!" which I must admit was a little disappointing. I also think