Skip to main content

X men Apocalypse Review

What I liked: This was a good superhero movie. The franchise is doing a good job of building off to their own alternate reality that still acknowledges the old movies but is free to do its own thing. There were new mutants with new powers and old mutants with better powers than they had before. Some examples: Psylock is new, she is pretty cool she makes cool pink glowy weapons out of psychic energy. This isn't weird "please shoot me" black widow glow; this is " I will chop your arm off" pink glow. She was an impressive fighter and for being based on the 80's high hipped bathing suits, her costume was really cool. Phoenix/Jean Gray we have met before, but phoenix was always just weird and not cool. This phoenix was much more impressive, you get glimpses early in the movie that make you excited for when she will actually appear. Not only was there better powers the characters were funner too. Nightcrawler wears a thriller jacket and is entertaining. Just like last time Quicksilver is a delight. I laughed through his entire big scene. He has some other, less funny, time on screen too but once again he stole the show. The presentation of the psychic battle was also pretty good. I think in most other movies I  have seen with psychic battles (having written that phrase, I am moderately concerned about my social integration), present it as kind of a Harry Potter sparks out of wands situation so you can tell that something exciting is happening. This was cooler. The post credits scene sets up where X-men is going next, which I think is a good direction for them to really come into their own less attached to the previous 5 movies. A good flick over all with very fun moments.

What I didn't: I said I was impressed with the development of some of the characters, I wasn't happy with all of them. I give the film team credit for trying to build more complicated characters and they did a good job with most of them but I had three main disappointments. Archangel he had a good opening and I was excited for the showdown between him and Nightcrawler but was left thinking: really? Magneto, they have tried to develop him into a conflicted complicated friend to professor X. This is what he is supposed to be so that is great, the problem arises in that their method of doing this is boring. Yep, bored. I also was unimpressed with the CIA lady. It took me about half the movie to figure out who she was (we met her in first class). And even after I figured out who she was, she didn't do anything interesting. She was kind of cool in First Class, so she should have been cool in this one too. Ok moving on from characters to Apocalypse, I don't classify this as a character because I have so many issues. what exactly was apocalypse's plan? Every time I destroy the entire world I think there should be a plan for after that, you know, besides building a giant pyramid of questionable structural integrity. And if my plan is to destroy the world I would probably use all the nukes I launched, just saying. Also what was up with his costume? are there supposed to be tubes coming out of his head? If you are only transferring your consciousness, why would you bring the tubes along for the ride? Also what were his powers? I counted like 4 but I don't really think any of them justify his godcomplex. I'm not sure how the TVs were still working after all that Magneto action. EMPs don't usually mesh well with electronics. But the magnetic waves were pretty cool. I also think that if your boss is possessed by and evil spirit and attached to machine connected to everyone's minds, you should consider pulling the plug. Immediately. Just saying. The raiders of the lost arc moment...yes, that happened. Finally, there were way, way too many flashbacks. One great, 2 fine, 87? Did you just feel like you needed to lengthen the film and didn't have the budget for more shooting?

Who should watch this? X-men fans, superhero fans, action movie fans. Grover &co (fuzzy and blue).

Would I watch it again? Yes. Of the new x-men this comes in behind first class but well before days of future past.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ready Player One Review

What I liked: I bet all of the developers loved making this film, I saw so many video game and movie references in the background of scenes. I bet all the developers just inserted their favorites like the ninja turtles, a whole platoon of halo soldiers, and orcs. That it was a video game made it possible and exciting to have all kinds of absolutely random physics and logic defying things happen. Obviously, I loved the T. Rex and who would not enjoy seeing Mechagodzilla or a cyborg orc driving a monster truck? Early in the movie they made good use of the video game architecture in a way that reminded me a bit of secret rooms in super mario. The characters visit the world of the Shining, which was amazing and hilarious. I loved the variety of characters, vehicles and weapons that we get to see and it is more fun (at least for me) that they draw from more than strictly the 1980's. I also really liked the music, for the most part the selections were great for the scenes. The book was

Solo Reveiw

What I liked: The architecture of a heist movie has 4 stages: stage 1 explain how hard the job is, stage 2 come up with a ridiculously elaborate plan to accomplish the job and acquire hard to find equipment, stage 3 execute the plan but something goes terribly wrong, stage 4 sneaky twist and huge pay off. The Solo movie takes the bold move of streamlining the first two and a half steps, picking up with stage 3.5 "Something goes terribly wrong". This saves everyone the slow wind up to the actual action. This saved time translates into a movie with not one but all the heists. We have grand theft, customs evasion, train robbery, vault robbery, the classic hustle, and of course smuggling. I guess they may have tried to crowd too a little much in because they also almost always skip stage 4. This stage skipping also means that we don't know if the things they are doing are actually hard or they are just incompetent. I'm surprised more heist movies don't explore this

Wrinkle in Time Review

What I liked: I liked Charles Wallace, that kid was funny. I liked that the ladies in crazy dresses were warriors and that the kids were warriors too. You know me I'm all about a good action movie with awesome fighting, but I liked that at least in this universe the defining characteristics of warriors were compassion, kindness, and love. Similarly, I liked that the bad guys weren't launching a massive military conquest of the universe, I mean everyone is doing that these days. Surprisingly, I liked the Mrs's dresses. They were crazy and over the top but it was fun that they changed with every teleportation and that they were completely absurd. The outfits were rather like the Mrs's wearing them, over the top and fantastical. Knowing all of them from other shows I may have had some unfulfilled expectations. At no point did anyone say "You get a wrinkle, and you get a wrinkle, Everyone gets a wrinkle!" which I must admit was a little disappointing. I also think