Skip to main content

Jumanji Review

What I liked: Jumanji lent itself really well to updating. The video game format was great the whole thing seemed just as ridiculous as old nintendo games. Why do knives pop out of the floor? Why is there a whole field full of snakes? Why are the rhinos and hippos carnivorous? Why are the goons completely clueless? Why does the villain have a centipede living in his ear? No reason besides it's a video game. Also all of the other characters acted just like old video game characters, only delivering set lines over and over. Each of the main characters had special abilities and special weaknesses; every time either was activated it was quite funny. My favorites were the zoologists extensive knowledge of all the local animals, especially the inexplicably carnivorous ones, the smolder complete with dramatic music, a susceptibility to cake, and dance fighting. I also really liked the squirrels, the flirting lesson, and the way that shouting what the character needed to do worked great. I do that every time I play video games and it never works out quite as well. 

What I didn't: I'm sorely disappointed that there was no river level. What self respecting jungle game doesn't have a rafting adventure where you have to shoot rapids, dodge crocodiles, and navigate tight turns? They really should have used the bazaar more. You know, collect supplies, get healing potions, smash some jars, scare some chickens, upgrade weaponry. Characters should gain experience points and level up abilities, that would have been a useful addition to the flirting lessons and flying aspects. Also I feel like board games that mysteriously transform into video games should be treated with suspicion. And if you had the last name Freak, don't you think you would legally change it?

Who should watch this? Those looking for a lighthearted flick.

Would I watch it again? I'm glad I watched it, I probably won't rewatch it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ready Player One Review

What I liked: I bet all of the developers loved making this film, I saw so many video game and movie references in the background of scenes. I bet all the developers just inserted their favorites like the ninja turtles, a whole platoon of halo soldiers, and orcs. That it was a video game made it possible and exciting to have all kinds of absolutely random physics and logic defying things happen. Obviously, I loved the T. Rex and who would not enjoy seeing Mechagodzilla or a cyborg orc driving a monster truck? Early in the movie they made good use of the video game architecture in a way that reminded me a bit of secret rooms in super mario. The characters visit the world of the Shining, which was amazing and hilarious. I loved the variety of characters, vehicles and weapons that we get to see and it is more fun (at least for me) that they draw from more than strictly the 1980's. I also really liked the music, for the most part the selections were great for the scenes. The book was

Solo Reveiw

What I liked: The architecture of a heist movie has 4 stages: stage 1 explain how hard the job is, stage 2 come up with a ridiculously elaborate plan to accomplish the job and acquire hard to find equipment, stage 3 execute the plan but something goes terribly wrong, stage 4 sneaky twist and huge pay off. The Solo movie takes the bold move of streamlining the first two and a half steps, picking up with stage 3.5 "Something goes terribly wrong". This saves everyone the slow wind up to the actual action. This saved time translates into a movie with not one but all the heists. We have grand theft, customs evasion, train robbery, vault robbery, the classic hustle, and of course smuggling. I guess they may have tried to crowd too a little much in because they also almost always skip stage 4. This stage skipping also means that we don't know if the things they are doing are actually hard or they are just incompetent. I'm surprised more heist movies don't explore this

Wrinkle in Time Review

What I liked: I liked Charles Wallace, that kid was funny. I liked that the ladies in crazy dresses were warriors and that the kids were warriors too. You know me I'm all about a good action movie with awesome fighting, but I liked that at least in this universe the defining characteristics of warriors were compassion, kindness, and love. Similarly, I liked that the bad guys weren't launching a massive military conquest of the universe, I mean everyone is doing that these days. Surprisingly, I liked the Mrs's dresses. They were crazy and over the top but it was fun that they changed with every teleportation and that they were completely absurd. The outfits were rather like the Mrs's wearing them, over the top and fantastical. Knowing all of them from other shows I may have had some unfulfilled expectations. At no point did anyone say "You get a wrinkle, and you get a wrinkle, Everyone gets a wrinkle!" which I must admit was a little disappointing. I also think