Skip to main content

Ant-man and the Wasp Review

What I liked: The cardboard fort. That was epic. I want one. I am going to spend the next 5 years amassing cardboard so I can build a scale model. And I have to say this is a much better solution to house arrest than what the kid in Disturbia came up with. I also really liked the truth serum, the juke box, the luggage handle, and the tardigrades. Fun fact: tardigrades can survive the vacuum of space, intense radiation, and being freeze dried. Maybe we should have a tardigrade man in a future ant-man installment, he would be even tinier and pretty much indestructible. The arrow bugs were also fun, they made me think of a video game, which is fun, but it doesn't seem like objectively the best plan. I'm willing to bet they wreak havoc with your windshield. What was better than the arrow bugs was the car chase scenes. Chase scenes in most movies vary speed and direction of the cars with the added variable of size the chase scenes got a lot more exciting. Now if they would just install rocket launchers it would be truly glorious. I hope that Bond is taking notes for Q. I liked Ant-man's coworkers and their stories. They were pretty funny. Finally I liked that the bad guys were pretty normal and wanted normal person things like to be super rich or not slide through walls.

What I didn't: I think Ant-man said it well "do you guys just add quantum to everything?" Pretty much that's not how quantum works, or conservation of mass or energy or anything. But it is still pretty cool and funny. I am confused why if you are tiny and a building is tiny you can't go hang out in the tiny building, It seems like as long as you are the right size it should work. Also I am very unclear on Ghost's plan and why they thought it would work. I'm very glad that they didn't spend more time saying quantum but I will say I'm under the impression that extracting huge amounts of radiation and flooding things with it is usually bad. I am also curious why no one in the whole city is good at doing their jobs. It is entertaining but I wonder what the odds are of randomly assorting all the incompetent people into the same place. Or is there a  larger conspiracy that let the competent people banish the incompetent people? Finally, I really wish it had ended in a dinner, I mean Schwarma was a great hit before.

Who should watch this? People looking for a fun bouncy superhero movie. If you want to completely forget that Infinity War happened, skip the after credits scenes.

Would I watch it again? Yeah, it was really fun.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ready Player One Review

What I liked: I bet all of the developers loved making this film, I saw so many video game and movie references in the background of scenes. I bet all the developers just inserted their favorites like the ninja turtles, a whole platoon of halo soldiers, and orcs. That it was a video game made it possible and exciting to have all kinds of absolutely random physics and logic defying things happen. Obviously, I loved the T. Rex and who would not enjoy seeing Mechagodzilla or a cyborg orc driving a monster truck? Early in the movie they made good use of the video game architecture in a way that reminded me a bit of secret rooms in super mario. The characters visit the world of the Shining, which was amazing and hilarious. I loved the variety of characters, vehicles and weapons that we get to see and it is more fun (at least for me) that they draw from more than strictly the 1980's. I also really liked the music, for the most part the selections were great for the scenes. The book was

Solo Reveiw

What I liked: The architecture of a heist movie has 4 stages: stage 1 explain how hard the job is, stage 2 come up with a ridiculously elaborate plan to accomplish the job and acquire hard to find equipment, stage 3 execute the plan but something goes terribly wrong, stage 4 sneaky twist and huge pay off. The Solo movie takes the bold move of streamlining the first two and a half steps, picking up with stage 3.5 "Something goes terribly wrong". This saves everyone the slow wind up to the actual action. This saved time translates into a movie with not one but all the heists. We have grand theft, customs evasion, train robbery, vault robbery, the classic hustle, and of course smuggling. I guess they may have tried to crowd too a little much in because they also almost always skip stage 4. This stage skipping also means that we don't know if the things they are doing are actually hard or they are just incompetent. I'm surprised more heist movies don't explore this

Wrinkle in Time Review

What I liked: I liked Charles Wallace, that kid was funny. I liked that the ladies in crazy dresses were warriors and that the kids were warriors too. You know me I'm all about a good action movie with awesome fighting, but I liked that at least in this universe the defining characteristics of warriors were compassion, kindness, and love. Similarly, I liked that the bad guys weren't launching a massive military conquest of the universe, I mean everyone is doing that these days. Surprisingly, I liked the Mrs's dresses. They were crazy and over the top but it was fun that they changed with every teleportation and that they were completely absurd. The outfits were rather like the Mrs's wearing them, over the top and fantastical. Knowing all of them from other shows I may have had some unfulfilled expectations. At no point did anyone say "You get a wrinkle, and you get a wrinkle, Everyone gets a wrinkle!" which I must admit was a little disappointing. I also think