Skip to main content

A Man Called Ove Review

What I liked: The book A Man Called Ove is very funny and touching. It pretty much reminds you of every old grouchy person you know and love. The movie captures some of that. They do a good job of bopping around through his life history. I liked the way that they worked in the flashbacks on Ove's life. There was a lot of cutting but they did an admirable job of streamlining the story to drive the current plot. They also did a good job with Rune and I liked the clown. The main "White shirt" adversary was less evil, which I suppose is a good thing. I also liked the driving lesson. Mostly, I was glad that the whole thing felt right. It was a little movie about a little man, filled with complexity and emotion. The ending was well done.

What I didn't: Pravaneh says it best "Ove, you are really terrible at dying." I imagine that Ove could commiserate with the guy from Groundhog's Day. The main thing that it seemed like it was missing was humor. The book is really quite funny. The movie is not. My roommate sniffily asked me why we were watching such a sad movie. Also, I don't think the movie captures Ove's character. He fills the angry old man role and gets some depth but not as much as I hoped from a book that was essentially all about demonstrating who Ove is. Instead of reminding you of the grouchy old people you love this Ove seemed to evoke more of the terrifying, morose old person your mom used to take casseroles to. But maybe old people stereotypes are different in Sweden.

Who should watch this? People who like Swedish films. People who like dramas. People who liked the book and wished it were slightly more tragic.

Would I watch it again? Once was enough.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Titanic

What I liked: Liked is definitely the wrong word for it but the scenes of the sinking of the Titanic were masterful. They were technologically impressive, apparently remarkably accurate, and emotionally gripping. The variety of ways in which different people dealt with a completely hopeless situation was both touching and thought provoking. Especially beautiful was the string quartet. In isolation from the love story, the sinking of the Titanic is a tragic reminder of the cost of hubris and the necessity of regulating emergency procedures and capacities. It carries similar gravitas as a war film. At the 25th anniversary of the film, I can appreciate how Titanic has impacted movies made later.  What I didn't: So here's the thing. I feel very bad for you if you died in the sinking of the Titanic. I feel less bad for you if you managed to get on a lifeboat on the Titanic and then decided to get off. I question all of your decision making and priorities if you decide to get off a...

Mrs Harris goes to Paris

What I liked: This is a happy movie. I liked the dresses and especially how very happy seeing all of the dresses made Mrs Harris. I liked how her enthusiasm wins over the tailor and almost everyone else. Mrs Harris was so delighted with Paris and the people she met that she motivated them to live just a little more enthusiastically and optimistically. From the philosophical model, to the intellectual accountant, to the withdrawn Marquis and the cold director the characters were all imaginatively Parisian (assuming your an American author in the 1950s). I liked that they drove a vespa. I was glad that while Mrs Harris got a fresh view of the world and had a wonderful time in Paris, they steered clear of the potential cliche plot pot holes they could have fallen in. I especially liked her friends who helped her live her dream of going to Paris to buy a dress while really not understanding it at all.  What I didn't: Mrs Harris did such a great job agitating in Paris she really could h...

The Last Jedi Review

What I liked: The owl cats. Chewbacca making friends with the owl cats. The rock huts. Lightspeed weaponry and sneaky intelligent plans. Imperial armor that actually works. We know from episode VI and Rogue One that standard stormtrooper armor is completely ineffective against any weapon every invented from sticks and stones to laser guns, so it is good to know that the imperial engineering corp is actually capable of making really effective armor. But I am left with the question why not reduce the number of stromtroopers but only invest in the red and silver armor? By my rough calculations you would be able to off set the cost of the armor with all of the salaries and life insurance claims that would be avoided. Another solid victory for the imperial R/D crew is the variety of weapons that get introduced. The only think I was left wishing for were nunchuks. I like that in both militaries there are about 5 general level officers and 400-10 billion enlisted soldiers. I like that every...