Skip to main content

Crazy Rich Asians

What I liked: One of the earliest scenes has a flurry of social media. I liked the way it was filmed and thought it was funny and effective. The best friend is remarkably well prepared for almost any eventuality. If she could fit her closet in a utility belt she would be a fashion batman. Without all the cool gadgets and fighting. Just clothes and accessories. Worst Batman ever. I liked her collection of outfits in her trunk. The whole family making dumplings together was surprisingly cute. Until it reminded me of the recent Pixar dumpling short. You can't unsee it now can you? Really, that short is this movie in about 5 minutes. So if you want to save your self some time... The mom is a very effective villain, I think she and Lady Tremaine would get along well. I liked the proposal scene. Of the whole movie this is the part the seems the most realistic.

What I didn't: Ok even if we buy the "I just wanted to be a peasant and my true self with you" non-sense, under what circumstances would it ever be considered a good plan to not inform your girlfriend that the event where she is going to meet your entire family is formal dress. If she hadn't had a best friend who conveniently lives in the same town, is magically her exact size, has no job and nothing better to do than pick out outfits, and has an absurdly stocked closet, she would have been completely unprepared for the entire trip. First class seats on an international flight is a great surprise, showing up under dressed to an occasion where you really want to make a good first impression: not a great surprise. Maybe you should have mentioned that there would be no fewer than 7 red carpet events when she was packing. Don't get me wrong, I love me some cargo pants and t-shirts but even I would not roll into the Oscars in my Walmart slacks, a sweater, and no makeup, even just to watch from the balcony. So obviously if flying halfway around the world to be the star of many such gatherings advanced warning would be necessary. While the networking to get a great seat at the wedding worked well, never once has telling someone that I read their paper and liked it gotten me a good into a better situation. Best case scenario you do get the fancy seat at the wedding but find yourself surrounded by other people who also read the paper (in greater detail than you did) and are trapped discussing it in fine detail for about 3 hours pretending that that is exactly what you meant to have happen and not wishing you were shamelessly chasing the waiter carrying delicious hors d'oeurvers. While not a real example, I definitely seeing this plan backfiring. Why was there no canoe?! There was a tiny river, that was cool. But obviously the logical follow on is to arrive in a tiny canoe, not to wade through mid-calf deep water wearing a dress with a train! There is no way to do that gracefully. Who flew the helicopter to the little island? Did they steal the helicopter? How did they land the helicopter on the sheer cliff, how did they get down from the cliff, was the raft in the helicopter? They skip over all these rather important details but really it could be a whole heist movie on its own! Also showing off the priceless engagement ring on a wood raft in the ocean=not a great plan. I do feel like there is some middle ground a person could find between making a scene and smuggling a barracuda out of your room in a duffel bag. I'm not saying fish smuggling is the wrong answer, just that putting it in a large trashcan or under the bed might have been easier.

Who should watch this? People who like Rom Coms. People who want to feel better about their crazy relatives

Would I watch it again? It was fun to see once.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ready Player One Review

What I liked: I bet all of the developers loved making this film, I saw so many video game and movie references in the background of scenes. I bet all the developers just inserted their favorites like the ninja turtles, a whole platoon of halo soldiers, and orcs. That it was a video game made it possible and exciting to have all kinds of absolutely random physics and logic defying things happen. Obviously, I loved the T. Rex and who would not enjoy seeing Mechagodzilla or a cyborg orc driving a monster truck? Early in the movie they made good use of the video game architecture in a way that reminded me a bit of secret rooms in super mario. The characters visit the world of the Shining, which was amazing and hilarious. I loved the variety of characters, vehicles and weapons that we get to see and it is more fun (at least for me) that they draw from more than strictly the 1980's. I also really liked the music, for the most part the selections were great for the scenes. The book was

Solo Reveiw

What I liked: The architecture of a heist movie has 4 stages: stage 1 explain how hard the job is, stage 2 come up with a ridiculously elaborate plan to accomplish the job and acquire hard to find equipment, stage 3 execute the plan but something goes terribly wrong, stage 4 sneaky twist and huge pay off. The Solo movie takes the bold move of streamlining the first two and a half steps, picking up with stage 3.5 "Something goes terribly wrong". This saves everyone the slow wind up to the actual action. This saved time translates into a movie with not one but all the heists. We have grand theft, customs evasion, train robbery, vault robbery, the classic hustle, and of course smuggling. I guess they may have tried to crowd too a little much in because they also almost always skip stage 4. This stage skipping also means that we don't know if the things they are doing are actually hard or they are just incompetent. I'm surprised more heist movies don't explore this

Wrinkle in Time Review

What I liked: I liked Charles Wallace, that kid was funny. I liked that the ladies in crazy dresses were warriors and that the kids were warriors too. You know me I'm all about a good action movie with awesome fighting, but I liked that at least in this universe the defining characteristics of warriors were compassion, kindness, and love. Similarly, I liked that the bad guys weren't launching a massive military conquest of the universe, I mean everyone is doing that these days. Surprisingly, I liked the Mrs's dresses. They were crazy and over the top but it was fun that they changed with every teleportation and that they were completely absurd. The outfits were rather like the Mrs's wearing them, over the top and fantastical. Knowing all of them from other shows I may have had some unfulfilled expectations. At no point did anyone say "You get a wrinkle, and you get a wrinkle, Everyone gets a wrinkle!" which I must admit was a little disappointing. I also think