Skip to main content

Star Wars IX Rise of the Skywalker

What I liked: I liked the light saber battles. No surprise here but I particularly appreciated the coolness of whatever the force projection was. Now the characters weren't limited by being in the same place, they could have light saber fights across the galaxy and bring back souvenirs. This is particularly important in a situation where you have a hard deadline and several hundred years worth of lightspeed travel to get to all the places you need to visit. Not to mention it looked really cool. I liked the cavalry charge. At first I thought that maybe horses need breathable air, gravity, and to not be on something likely moving at hundreds of miles an hour; but then I remembered these are space horses and it was alright. I liked that they caught a sand worm from Dune. Rey continues to learn the force stuff remarkably fast, with no real teacher. So, I am left to wonder, why did we bother training Jedi in the past? Maybe they would have been more effective just figuring things out on their own. I did like the planet that had a super huge storm on its ocean. There may have been more effective ways of crossing said ocean and there could have been cooler music for the lightsaber fight, but it was pretty cool. I am impressed that the bad guys have made such huge advancements in weaponry to drastically reduce the size and cost of planet destroying artillery and yet have made exactly zero progress in armor, marksmanship, or counterintelligence. As far as I could tell there were a total of 2 spies in the galaxy who were remarkably effective

What I didn't: The kiss. Why, why would you do that? Wholly unnecessary and weird. The whole thing was fairly jumpy and as much as I appreciate a plot with some good pep, it seems like if you are just going to redo the whole last movie, maybe you should do that with an apology rather than smash two movies together in the time of one. While I realize that the end of a 9 film saga is going to bring back a number of dead characters to get closure for everyone, I was annoyed that only one of those dead people had the decency to show up as a ghost. Seriously, there were more dead people popping up than in Pirates of the Caribbean, which is billed as being full of zombie pirates. I am impressed that the new Empire bad guys were able to raise an enormous army in secret with no resources, but I am also a little confused about their staffing requirements. Where did the trillions of people needed to run thousands of star destroyers come from? Where did the people in the cave come from? How long were they there and what were they doing while they were waiting? Ya know, in the dark, without snacks, or WiFi. Also, every time I am planning on going and fighting an army and I throw away my only weapon, I tend to think that was a mistake. Finally, can we talk a little about electricity? Please excuse the math. A quick google search for how many joules it takes to break an airplane yielded nothing besides a flight ban and that a 5kg bird hitting a plane going 275 km/h can ground a plane. If we take that as a minimum to bring down a starship and assume one wanted to stop approximately 500 starships as a low guesstimate, you get 189,062kJ of theoretical energy. Another quick search told me that the Hoover Dam produces 11,000MW of electricity in a day. So if one wanted to, independent of any hypothetical plot, shoot enough electricity into the sky to stop 500 attacking starships you would need about 20 times the daily output of Hoover Dam. And then there is the issue of aim and turning things back on when they get fried by a bolt of lightning. All this is just meant to say that maybe, even if it looks very cool, there should be limits to what characters can do.

Who should watch this? It's the end of Star Wars, let's be honest everyone is going to see it.

Would I watch it again? Once was enough

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ready Player One Review

What I liked: I bet all of the developers loved making this film, I saw so many video game and movie references in the background of scenes. I bet all the developers just inserted their favorites like the ninja turtles, a whole platoon of halo soldiers, and orcs. That it was a video game made it possible and exciting to have all kinds of absolutely random physics and logic defying things happen. Obviously, I loved the T. Rex and who would not enjoy seeing Mechagodzilla or a cyborg orc driving a monster truck? Early in the movie they made good use of the video game architecture in a way that reminded me a bit of secret rooms in super mario. The characters visit the world of the Shining, which was amazing and hilarious. I loved the variety of characters, vehicles and weapons that we get to see and it is more fun (at least for me) that they draw from more than strictly the 1980's. I also really liked the music, for the most part the selections were great for the scenes. The book was

Solo Reveiw

What I liked: The architecture of a heist movie has 4 stages: stage 1 explain how hard the job is, stage 2 come up with a ridiculously elaborate plan to accomplish the job and acquire hard to find equipment, stage 3 execute the plan but something goes terribly wrong, stage 4 sneaky twist and huge pay off. The Solo movie takes the bold move of streamlining the first two and a half steps, picking up with stage 3.5 "Something goes terribly wrong". This saves everyone the slow wind up to the actual action. This saved time translates into a movie with not one but all the heists. We have grand theft, customs evasion, train robbery, vault robbery, the classic hustle, and of course smuggling. I guess they may have tried to crowd too a little much in because they also almost always skip stage 4. This stage skipping also means that we don't know if the things they are doing are actually hard or they are just incompetent. I'm surprised more heist movies don't explore this

Wrinkle in Time Review

What I liked: I liked Charles Wallace, that kid was funny. I liked that the ladies in crazy dresses were warriors and that the kids were warriors too. You know me I'm all about a good action movie with awesome fighting, but I liked that at least in this universe the defining characteristics of warriors were compassion, kindness, and love. Similarly, I liked that the bad guys weren't launching a massive military conquest of the universe, I mean everyone is doing that these days. Surprisingly, I liked the Mrs's dresses. They were crazy and over the top but it was fun that they changed with every teleportation and that they were completely absurd. The outfits were rather like the Mrs's wearing them, over the top and fantastical. Knowing all of them from other shows I may have had some unfulfilled expectations. At no point did anyone say "You get a wrinkle, and you get a wrinkle, Everyone gets a wrinkle!" which I must admit was a little disappointing. I also think