Skip to main content

Luca

We're back! Movies are back. Hooray!

What I liked: I liked the fish sheep and the grandma. Uncle Ugo was unnerving but I liked when he showed up unexpectedly, imagining him living in the deep trench from Aquaman really spices him up. I liked the idea of sleeping under the fish and Luca learning to walk. The Vespa construction and turtle ramp were fun. I liked Machiavelli, something that I never really thought I would say. The idea that an Italian triathlon is swimming, biking and eating pasta is phenomenal and I hope to compete in at least one of the legs of this event.  I liked that the kids achieved their goals when they reframed their focus to helping others. The soccer game at the fountain was great. And I was glad for the voice of reason "Risking your life for a Vespa? It doesn't make any sense."  

What I didn't: I wish I knew opera to place the songs better to see if there were hidden opera jokes. The only song I knew while watching was from Barber of Saville and I think was just flavor but I don't know. I wonder if the merpeople leading the fisherman to the fish that they were previously tasked with protecting represents a conflict of interest or a breach of trust or something. I am skeptical that one can go from unable to balance on a bike to competing in a triathlon, Italian or other variety, in one week. Guilia should graduate early and start a personal trainer business, her results with the Portorosso Cup speak for themselves. She should be quite successful. Have the townspeople ever actually had a seamonster encounter? I don't understand where their deep fear came from. Those monsters are not particularly terrifying, besides uncle Ugo and his creatures of the deep. I do not understand the seamonster hair. Is it scales? Is it seaweed? Why do they even need hair? 

Who should watch this? Anyone who likes Pixar, anyone who likes fish, or pasta. 

Would I watch it again? Yes, I had fun. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Titanic

What I liked: Liked is definitely the wrong word for it but the scenes of the sinking of the Titanic were masterful. They were technologically impressive, apparently remarkably accurate, and emotionally gripping. The variety of ways in which different people dealt with a completely hopeless situation was both touching and thought provoking. Especially beautiful was the string quartet. In isolation from the love story, the sinking of the Titanic is a tragic reminder of the cost of hubris and the necessity of regulating emergency procedures and capacities. It carries similar gravitas as a war film. At the 25th anniversary of the film, I can appreciate how Titanic has impacted movies made later.  What I didn't: So here's the thing. I feel very bad for you if you died in the sinking of the Titanic. I feel less bad for you if you managed to get on a lifeboat on the Titanic and then decided to get off. I question all of your decision making and priorities if you decide to get off a...

Mrs Harris goes to Paris

What I liked: This is a happy movie. I liked the dresses and especially how very happy seeing all of the dresses made Mrs Harris. I liked how her enthusiasm wins over the tailor and almost everyone else. Mrs Harris was so delighted with Paris and the people she met that she motivated them to live just a little more enthusiastically and optimistically. From the philosophical model, to the intellectual accountant, to the withdrawn Marquis and the cold director the characters were all imaginatively Parisian (assuming your an American author in the 1950s). I liked that they drove a vespa. I was glad that while Mrs Harris got a fresh view of the world and had a wonderful time in Paris, they steered clear of the potential cliche plot pot holes they could have fallen in. I especially liked her friends who helped her live her dream of going to Paris to buy a dress while really not understanding it at all.  What I didn't: Mrs Harris did such a great job agitating in Paris she really could h...

The Last Jedi Review

What I liked: The owl cats. Chewbacca making friends with the owl cats. The rock huts. Lightspeed weaponry and sneaky intelligent plans. Imperial armor that actually works. We know from episode VI and Rogue One that standard stormtrooper armor is completely ineffective against any weapon every invented from sticks and stones to laser guns, so it is good to know that the imperial engineering corp is actually capable of making really effective armor. But I am left with the question why not reduce the number of stromtroopers but only invest in the red and silver armor? By my rough calculations you would be able to off set the cost of the armor with all of the salaries and life insurance claims that would be avoided. Another solid victory for the imperial R/D crew is the variety of weapons that get introduced. The only think I was left wishing for were nunchuks. I like that in both militaries there are about 5 general level officers and 400-10 billion enlisted soldiers. I like that every...