Skip to main content

Lightyear


What I liked: The laser shield. It really shouldn't have taken them 60 years to come up with that plan. The moment Buzz realizes his elite team is not quite who he thought they were. The zap squad. The best I can tell is they are the special forces unit that does nothing besides run around yelling zap. That seems like exactly my level of military service. The tranquilizer dart. The seemingly correct use of time dilation, including "C." That Buzz was a stereotypical '50-'60s test pilot, complete with the deep distrust of computer calculated trajectories. The music accompanying Buzz's stirring speech. That Buzz and Cmd Hawthorne were just friends. The demolitions expert who was generally crotchety and disappointed to not get to blow everything up. 

What I didn't: The fundamental take home message of the movie is that it is better to work with other people than to insist on doing everything yourself. The message is itself sound. However, almost every example I side with the do it yourself Buzz. In the event of a military emergency probably a highly trained military person should not include untrained, unqualified civilians in the strike force. If you are piloting a spacecraft with the only helm, what conceivable job would you give someone who offered to help? The rookie does seem to get in the way and jeopardize everyone on the space ship. Also, I think there is a case to be made for Zurg's plan. Clearly it shouldn't be a unilateral decision, but their society could potentially be greatly benefited by that course. The movie used a lot of Buzz's lines from the original Toy Story. It was fun to hear the quotes but I like them better out of context. Similarly, many of the sound effects are the kinds of sounds kids would make if they were playing with toys like beep beep beep, or meow meow, and yes sadly zap zap zap zap. I acknowledge this ties it more closely to the Toy Story movie, but it is called Lightyear, so I don't know how much more explicit of a tie in you really need. Speaking of things we may not really need, do we actually need the backstory of the fictional history of an action figure in an already fictional movie? Since it is a play within a play essentially, do we treat it like there is an unreliable narrator? That could be more fun. They make a very big deal about losing the formula for their crystal solution. The thing has 4 ingredients and one of you is a computer, I'm pretty sure with minimal effort you could remember the formula. Finally, the cat. Why did we need the cat? Who designed that cat? what was the original purpose of the cat? Why did they think it needed all those random functions but not an extended battery life or enough memory to permanently store a 4 ingredient formula?

Who should watch this? The kids in the theater seemed to like it a lot. They also inexplicably liked the cat. So, I guess children inclined to like robotic cats. 

Would I watch it again? Once was enough. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ready Player One Review

What I liked: I bet all of the developers loved making this film, I saw so many video game and movie references in the background of scenes. I bet all the developers just inserted their favorites like the ninja turtles, a whole platoon of halo soldiers, and orcs. That it was a video game made it possible and exciting to have all kinds of absolutely random physics and logic defying things happen. Obviously, I loved the T. Rex and who would not enjoy seeing Mechagodzilla or a cyborg orc driving a monster truck? Early in the movie they made good use of the video game architecture in a way that reminded me a bit of secret rooms in super mario. The characters visit the world of the Shining, which was amazing and hilarious. I loved the variety of characters, vehicles and weapons that we get to see and it is more fun (at least for me) that they draw from more than strictly the 1980's. I also really liked the music, for the most part the selections were great for the scenes. The book was

Solo Reveiw

What I liked: The architecture of a heist movie has 4 stages: stage 1 explain how hard the job is, stage 2 come up with a ridiculously elaborate plan to accomplish the job and acquire hard to find equipment, stage 3 execute the plan but something goes terribly wrong, stage 4 sneaky twist and huge pay off. The Solo movie takes the bold move of streamlining the first two and a half steps, picking up with stage 3.5 "Something goes terribly wrong". This saves everyone the slow wind up to the actual action. This saved time translates into a movie with not one but all the heists. We have grand theft, customs evasion, train robbery, vault robbery, the classic hustle, and of course smuggling. I guess they may have tried to crowd too a little much in because they also almost always skip stage 4. This stage skipping also means that we don't know if the things they are doing are actually hard or they are just incompetent. I'm surprised more heist movies don't explore this

Wrinkle in Time Review

What I liked: I liked Charles Wallace, that kid was funny. I liked that the ladies in crazy dresses were warriors and that the kids were warriors too. You know me I'm all about a good action movie with awesome fighting, but I liked that at least in this universe the defining characteristics of warriors were compassion, kindness, and love. Similarly, I liked that the bad guys weren't launching a massive military conquest of the universe, I mean everyone is doing that these days. Surprisingly, I liked the Mrs's dresses. They were crazy and over the top but it was fun that they changed with every teleportation and that they were completely absurd. The outfits were rather like the Mrs's wearing them, over the top and fantastical. Knowing all of them from other shows I may have had some unfulfilled expectations. At no point did anyone say "You get a wrinkle, and you get a wrinkle, Everyone gets a wrinkle!" which I must admit was a little disappointing. I also think