Skip to main content

Kung Fu Panda 3 Review


What I liked: This is really good for a third installment of a film that was planned as a stand alone. The first one was surprisingly funny; this one was much the same: surprising. I was impressed that they were still able to make me laugh. I was impressed that after making a cuddly panda the most powerful kungfu fighter in the animal world in the first movie, and the second, they were able to not only come up with increasingly strong villains to challenge the panda but also that they were able to have somewhere for the panda to grow as a character. There was some cool animation especially with some parts at the end with drawing with light. And the baby pandas are really cute. I liked the portion of Po trying to teach the Kung Fu class. I'm not sure that the panda army would be nearly as effective as the movie portrayed. Sometimes being you just isn't as good as being a ninja assassin, or Batman. But the only kids movie the would say that is one from Pixar so we can live with the be yourself moral of the story. I did like the battle between the little raccoon guy and the evil ox.

What I didn't: While they did a good job of letting the panda grow some as a character, everyone else in the whole cast has been pretty static. Forever. The kung fu friends are pretty cool too and it would have been nice to have more screen time with them. I didn't love the hidden panda society thing or the dad story arc. Both had their moments but didn't really catch my interest.

Who should watch this? If you liked the first two, you will like this one too.

Would I watch it again? It was fun, I liked it better than the second one. If I were to rewatch I would probably go for the first one.

Final note: how are there no good movie posters for this? I mean how hard is it to make a poster? honestly.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Titanic

What I liked: Liked is definitely the wrong word for it but the scenes of the sinking of the Titanic were masterful. They were technologically impressive, apparently remarkably accurate, and emotionally gripping. The variety of ways in which different people dealt with a completely hopeless situation was both touching and thought provoking. Especially beautiful was the string quartet. In isolation from the love story, the sinking of the Titanic is a tragic reminder of the cost of hubris and the necessity of regulating emergency procedures and capacities. It carries similar gravitas as a war film. At the 25th anniversary of the film, I can appreciate how Titanic has impacted movies made later.  What I didn't: So here's the thing. I feel very bad for you if you died in the sinking of the Titanic. I feel less bad for you if you managed to get on a lifeboat on the Titanic and then decided to get off. I question all of your decision making and priorities if you decide to get off a...

Mrs Harris goes to Paris

What I liked: This is a happy movie. I liked the dresses and especially how very happy seeing all of the dresses made Mrs Harris. I liked how her enthusiasm wins over the tailor and almost everyone else. Mrs Harris was so delighted with Paris and the people she met that she motivated them to live just a little more enthusiastically and optimistically. From the philosophical model, to the intellectual accountant, to the withdrawn Marquis and the cold director the characters were all imaginatively Parisian (assuming your an American author in the 1950s). I liked that they drove a vespa. I was glad that while Mrs Harris got a fresh view of the world and had a wonderful time in Paris, they steered clear of the potential cliche plot pot holes they could have fallen in. I especially liked her friends who helped her live her dream of going to Paris to buy a dress while really not understanding it at all.  What I didn't: Mrs Harris did such a great job agitating in Paris she really could h...

The Last Jedi Review

What I liked: The owl cats. Chewbacca making friends with the owl cats. The rock huts. Lightspeed weaponry and sneaky intelligent plans. Imperial armor that actually works. We know from episode VI and Rogue One that standard stormtrooper armor is completely ineffective against any weapon every invented from sticks and stones to laser guns, so it is good to know that the imperial engineering corp is actually capable of making really effective armor. But I am left with the question why not reduce the number of stromtroopers but only invest in the red and silver armor? By my rough calculations you would be able to off set the cost of the armor with all of the salaries and life insurance claims that would be avoided. Another solid victory for the imperial R/D crew is the variety of weapons that get introduced. The only think I was left wishing for were nunchuks. I like that in both militaries there are about 5 general level officers and 400-10 billion enlisted soldiers. I like that every...