Skip to main content

Spiderman Homecoming Review



What I liked: Of the three attempts at the Spiderman franchise in my life this is the best. My favorite things about Spiderman from his brief appearance in Civil War remained true in this movie too. Spiderman is a doofy highschool kid. He is super excited about having super powers (Ha!) and about getting to be on a super team and shows the remarkable lack of judgement that we all recognize and love in 14 year olds. He loves science bowl and builds a giant lego death star with his best friend and has to get rides everywhere. While other superheroes make appearances it doesn't seem too unreasonable that they don't immediately intervene and save Spiderman from his teenage self. The problems and villians that he faces are bite sized (No he isn't fighting an army of bagel bites and pizza bites, though every teenager I have ever met has all the superpowers necessary to vanquish that particular foe). He is still learning not just how to use his super powers and super suit but also how to act like a hero, which is both endearing and funny. I like that the bad guys are normal bad guys. No one wants to destroy the world (I'm surprised by the number of bad guys who forget that they live in the world ergo they should probably not blow it up) they all want normal things like to be insanely wealthy or build evil hover boards or wear really dumb looking costumes. You know all the things that everyone wants in life. I also like that at the end of the movie, after many epic battles, victories, and highschool parties, Spiderman is still a dweeby kid who isn't very good at being superhero, he has made a lot of progress but clearly still has a long long way to go before he is ready to save the world. Nicely put he is a kid with room to grow.

What I didn't: I didn't like that Spiderman was so dependent on Ironman for the suit. Ironman clearly has far more resources than Spiderman for suit building and making extra suits has clearly never caused him major world threatening crises before but is does seem like Spiderman should be a bit more involved. Or the suit should come with its own stock of web juice. It is just a bit of an odd combination to have to make web juice in chemistry and not get in put in your suit's playlist. I also feel like with Ironman's vast resources he could have invested in an out of office response "Ironman is out of the office until 2020, your message will be delivered before the release of his next sequel." At least then we would know he hadn't changed his number. I have concerns about the amount of suction that can actually be achieved with metal feathers, it just doesn't seem aerodynamically sound. Also I feel like principles of buoyancy were violated by don't know enough about ships to be certain. Other things I don't remember

Who should watch this? Laura. People who like superheroes and people who like bagel bites.

Would I watch it again? Yes, I think it is my favorite of the 2016/2017 Marvel films.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ready Player One Review

What I liked: I bet all of the developers loved making this film, I saw so many video game and movie references in the background of scenes. I bet all the developers just inserted their favorites like the ninja turtles, a whole platoon of halo soldiers, and orcs. That it was a video game made it possible and exciting to have all kinds of absolutely random physics and logic defying things happen. Obviously, I loved the T. Rex and who would not enjoy seeing Mechagodzilla or a cyborg orc driving a monster truck? Early in the movie they made good use of the video game architecture in a way that reminded me a bit of secret rooms in super mario. The characters visit the world of the Shining, which was amazing and hilarious. I loved the variety of characters, vehicles and weapons that we get to see and it is more fun (at least for me) that they draw from more than strictly the 1980's. I also really liked the music, for the most part the selections were great for the scenes. The book was

Solo Reveiw

What I liked: The architecture of a heist movie has 4 stages: stage 1 explain how hard the job is, stage 2 come up with a ridiculously elaborate plan to accomplish the job and acquire hard to find equipment, stage 3 execute the plan but something goes terribly wrong, stage 4 sneaky twist and huge pay off. The Solo movie takes the bold move of streamlining the first two and a half steps, picking up with stage 3.5 "Something goes terribly wrong". This saves everyone the slow wind up to the actual action. This saved time translates into a movie with not one but all the heists. We have grand theft, customs evasion, train robbery, vault robbery, the classic hustle, and of course smuggling. I guess they may have tried to crowd too a little much in because they also almost always skip stage 4. This stage skipping also means that we don't know if the things they are doing are actually hard or they are just incompetent. I'm surprised more heist movies don't explore this

Wrinkle in Time Review

What I liked: I liked Charles Wallace, that kid was funny. I liked that the ladies in crazy dresses were warriors and that the kids were warriors too. You know me I'm all about a good action movie with awesome fighting, but I liked that at least in this universe the defining characteristics of warriors were compassion, kindness, and love. Similarly, I liked that the bad guys weren't launching a massive military conquest of the universe, I mean everyone is doing that these days. Surprisingly, I liked the Mrs's dresses. They were crazy and over the top but it was fun that they changed with every teleportation and that they were completely absurd. The outfits were rather like the Mrs's wearing them, over the top and fantastical. Knowing all of them from other shows I may have had some unfulfilled expectations. At no point did anyone say "You get a wrinkle, and you get a wrinkle, Everyone gets a wrinkle!" which I must admit was a little disappointing. I also think