Skip to main content

Logan Lucky Review

What I liked: I loved loved the impromptu chemistry lesson on the cinder block wall. I liked that the list of demands was entirely composed of Game of Thrones books and that they had to consult The Wikipedia. I'm glad that Kylo Ren looks normal sometimes. It is a sad commentary if you look better as a washed up hilly billy bar tender. His prosthetic arm was an important character in the movie and I  am glad that it got it's own story arc and character development finally becoming a cool black stealth hand. The checklist of how to pull off a massive heist was surprisingly good. I read it and thought, oh dear, this is going to be a train wreck. Then I watched the rest of the movie and there were no trains. The lack of trains on the heist checklist should have tipped me off. The prison escape was great. Like any prison break it took extensive planning and coordination, but it had just the right West Virginia twist. on that note I like that we now have a view into another side of heists. Most heist movies feature suave master criminals with so much money they don't really need to be doing the job (acting or heisting) and so much charisma that was just accept their terrible plans (like smuggling a chunnel digging machine into Las Vegas, or repelling down and express elevator shaft). This time we get a heist planned by people who clearly need the cash and who lack the social skills and flare to convince us their plan will work. Any plan that involves cockroaches, a junior beauty pageant, gummi bears, fire trucks, and refrigerator magnets should probably be met with skepticism. Unless it is a McGuyver plan, in which case you would think he came over prepared. The side plot with the Nascar driver was a little random, but entertaining. Similarly, the bear in the woods was...yes. That left several important questions wide wide open: how do they communicate with the bear? what was in that bag? what is the bear doing? where did the bear go and will it come back?

What I didn't: It's unfortunate that after retiring from Her Majesty's Service, Bond resorts to a life of crime. I guess we all saw it coming though. You can't be an international assassin for 50 years without out picking up bad habits that put you on a collision course with law enforcement. It is good that he reconnected with his brothers and really seemed in his element in rural West Virginia. I'm not sure what the brothers were bobbing for in the fair (possibly pork chops?). Whatever it was I didn't like it. I do feel like either the shopvac had extreme suction capabilities or there were some sealants necessary to achieve the results we saw over miles of pneumatic tubing. I'm hoping for the extreme suction option and that there was widespread pandemonium and unexpected additions to the takings, like toupees. Obviously this all happened off camera. While the use of the John Denver song was entirely appropriate the performance was a bit grating. I am left with deep abiding concerns about NASCAR security. I'm also a bit concerned that no one found it suspicious that a guy who got released from prison got picked up in a limo. With my very limited law enforcement experience I would probably do a little checking on that.

Who should watch this? People who like heist movies, people looking for a wacky comedy.

Would I watch it again? Yes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ready Player One Review

What I liked: I bet all of the developers loved making this film, I saw so many video game and movie references in the background of scenes. I bet all the developers just inserted their favorites like the ninja turtles, a whole platoon of halo soldiers, and orcs. That it was a video game made it possible and exciting to have all kinds of absolutely random physics and logic defying things happen. Obviously, I loved the T. Rex and who would not enjoy seeing Mechagodzilla or a cyborg orc driving a monster truck? Early in the movie they made good use of the video game architecture in a way that reminded me a bit of secret rooms in super mario. The characters visit the world of the Shining, which was amazing and hilarious. I loved the variety of characters, vehicles and weapons that we get to see and it is more fun (at least for me) that they draw from more than strictly the 1980's. I also really liked the music, for the most part the selections were great for the scenes. The book was

Solo Reveiw

What I liked: The architecture of a heist movie has 4 stages: stage 1 explain how hard the job is, stage 2 come up with a ridiculously elaborate plan to accomplish the job and acquire hard to find equipment, stage 3 execute the plan but something goes terribly wrong, stage 4 sneaky twist and huge pay off. The Solo movie takes the bold move of streamlining the first two and a half steps, picking up with stage 3.5 "Something goes terribly wrong". This saves everyone the slow wind up to the actual action. This saved time translates into a movie with not one but all the heists. We have grand theft, customs evasion, train robbery, vault robbery, the classic hustle, and of course smuggling. I guess they may have tried to crowd too a little much in because they also almost always skip stage 4. This stage skipping also means that we don't know if the things they are doing are actually hard or they are just incompetent. I'm surprised more heist movies don't explore this

Wrinkle in Time Review

What I liked: I liked Charles Wallace, that kid was funny. I liked that the ladies in crazy dresses were warriors and that the kids were warriors too. You know me I'm all about a good action movie with awesome fighting, but I liked that at least in this universe the defining characteristics of warriors were compassion, kindness, and love. Similarly, I liked that the bad guys weren't launching a massive military conquest of the universe, I mean everyone is doing that these days. Surprisingly, I liked the Mrs's dresses. They were crazy and over the top but it was fun that they changed with every teleportation and that they were completely absurd. The outfits were rather like the Mrs's wearing them, over the top and fantastical. Knowing all of them from other shows I may have had some unfulfilled expectations. At no point did anyone say "You get a wrinkle, and you get a wrinkle, Everyone gets a wrinkle!" which I must admit was a little disappointing. I also think