Skip to main content

Christopher Robin Review


What I liked: So, the overall premise is the standard Dad prioritizes work over family and needs
to learn to have fun again and lay off working so much. Usually, this is clunky and not well executed,
but Christopher Robin pulls it off well. I liked the chapters (illustrated like the chapters in Winnie the
Pooh) that gave us a montage of Christopher’s life and the events that led him to become so serious,
like that he fought in a world war. We also get a compelling reason why Christopher has to work
late so much, he’s trying to keep the company from going under and the staff being laid off. You get
the sense that his priority is his family but that life is just hard in recovering post-war England.
I liked that we got the Winnie the Pooh music, usually as themes in larger songs. I liked the balloon, it
was like the balloon itself "I know I don't need it but it did make me very happy." I was impressed with
the stuffed animals, I’m not sure how much was puppets and how much was CG but it was well done.
I liked that Eyeore seemed particularly insightful. I thought the credits scene was funny.

What I didn’t: Ok, I know communication skills are hard to develop, but is it really that hard to even
try. Like maybe the wife would be more understanding if Christopher ever mentioned what was
actually happening at work and maybe work would be more accommodating if they had any inkling
that Christopher was in the middle of a family emergency. I didn’t like the Christopher Hephalump
scene. The second Hephalump scene was fun. I was confused by the similarity between the
coworkers and the animals. I was expecting the actors to also have been the voice actors, but
they weren’t. So, now I’m left wondering was the similarity intentional or were the co-workers just
really weird?

Who should I watch this? People who have fond memories of Winnie the Pooh. People who are
entertained by the antics of silly old bears. It is probably either too scary or too boring for little kids.

Would I watch it again? It was fun to see, I would have to be in the right mood to watch it again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Titanic

What I liked: Liked is definitely the wrong word for it but the scenes of the sinking of the Titanic were masterful. They were technologically impressive, apparently remarkably accurate, and emotionally gripping. The variety of ways in which different people dealt with a completely hopeless situation was both touching and thought provoking. Especially beautiful was the string quartet. In isolation from the love story, the sinking of the Titanic is a tragic reminder of the cost of hubris and the necessity of regulating emergency procedures and capacities. It carries similar gravitas as a war film. At the 25th anniversary of the film, I can appreciate how Titanic has impacted movies made later.  What I didn't: So here's the thing. I feel very bad for you if you died in the sinking of the Titanic. I feel less bad for you if you managed to get on a lifeboat on the Titanic and then decided to get off. I question all of your decision making and priorities if you decide to get off a...

Mrs Harris goes to Paris

What I liked: This is a happy movie. I liked the dresses and especially how very happy seeing all of the dresses made Mrs Harris. I liked how her enthusiasm wins over the tailor and almost everyone else. Mrs Harris was so delighted with Paris and the people she met that she motivated them to live just a little more enthusiastically and optimistically. From the philosophical model, to the intellectual accountant, to the withdrawn Marquis and the cold director the characters were all imaginatively Parisian (assuming your an American author in the 1950s). I liked that they drove a vespa. I was glad that while Mrs Harris got a fresh view of the world and had a wonderful time in Paris, they steered clear of the potential cliche plot pot holes they could have fallen in. I especially liked her friends who helped her live her dream of going to Paris to buy a dress while really not understanding it at all.  What I didn't: Mrs Harris did such a great job agitating in Paris she really could h...

The Last Jedi Review

What I liked: The owl cats. Chewbacca making friends with the owl cats. The rock huts. Lightspeed weaponry and sneaky intelligent plans. Imperial armor that actually works. We know from episode VI and Rogue One that standard stormtrooper armor is completely ineffective against any weapon every invented from sticks and stones to laser guns, so it is good to know that the imperial engineering corp is actually capable of making really effective armor. But I am left with the question why not reduce the number of stromtroopers but only invest in the red and silver armor? By my rough calculations you would be able to off set the cost of the armor with all of the salaries and life insurance claims that would be avoided. Another solid victory for the imperial R/D crew is the variety of weapons that get introduced. The only think I was left wishing for were nunchuks. I like that in both militaries there are about 5 general level officers and 400-10 billion enlisted soldiers. I like that every...