Skip to main content

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them: The Crimes of Grindelwald, aka Fantastic Beasts 2, aka Harry Potter 10

What I liked: I am glad that we get to see grown up magic, which is in fact much better than high school kid magic. I liked the the blue flame dragons, what was possibly the earth splitting open, and maybe the gold dust CSI reconstruction. I liked the magical roomba. It looked more like a steam punk roomba than a magical roomba, but it was still fun. I liked the Chinese dragon and the freaky cats. I'm not sure why you need giant mechanical library stacks when you can just magically summon objects to you, but they did make a pretty cool maze. It was fun to see Nicholas Flamel. I think he was disproportionately older than his colleague Dumbledore and it would have been cool if he busted out more alchemy powers instead of resorting to wands like everyone else, but I have to admit for being 600 years old he was doing pretty good.  I like Newt. I like that he doesn't like hugs and that he is a different kind of hero who notices things and solves problems differently. I like his basement full of magical creatures. I am convinced that said basement breaks a whole slough of zoning laws and that most of the animal enclosures are ineffective at enclosing the animals. But having a magical zoo in your house does seem awesome.

What I didn't: I am still miffed that the UK gets a nice magical world while the USA and France get a nasty magical world. Think about it, the worst thing that happens in the UK wizarding world is an incompetent bad guy tries and fails to take over a high school. Seven Times. Let's also point out how long the title is, this is getting out of control. For a movie called "the Crimes of Grinelwald" there were very few actual crimes committed. Yes, there was some murder but not by Grindelwald, but no bank heists, no con schemes, no jail breaks, no smuggling, some illicit border crossing but not by Grindelwald. And if you are on the magical INTERPOL most wanted list, don't you think that you would have a less conspicuous way of telling people where you would be than draping an entire city in giant black curtains? And if you were a member of magical INTERPOL maybe you should be embarrassed that you couldn't find someone who drapes and entire city with fabric with his address on it? Ok this movie involves a lot of moving around. We go through secret magical doors, bop around Europe, and learn about other people who did more bopping. Given that wizards have magic and apparently need to move around a lot you would think that they would be better at it. For example when nonchalantly apparating to the top of a building, you would think that the could end up on the part of the roof they wanted to be on instead of on the opposite side so they would have to edge their way along a precarious ledge. Or if they wanted to cross the ocean they might consider just about any form of transportation-magic carpet, portkey, apparation, 7-league boots, dragon, you know anything-rather than take the Titanic. If you could walk through walls and fly, why would you ever take the stairs? Some elements of the film seemed pretty random and unnecessary. Does anyone every see a movie and think "that was good but what it really needed was more eyeball parasites?" Does a giant evil snake really need a backstory? Did the love enchantment only serve to bring back the sidekick or was it purely intended to be creepy? Who was the random veterinarian assistant? Also, if you were going to smoke unknown substances, don't you think you could find a more sanitary hookah than a centuries old skull? Finally, the big reveal at the end of the movie made even less sense than the reveal that the end of Solo. I stand by my previous statement that not everyone in the universe has to be related to the Skywalkers, like maybe there are other interesting people with cool abilities in the world.

Who should watch this? People who can't get enough Harry Potter. People who like CG monsters. People who like shouting at the TV.

Would I watch it again? Once was enough.

Comments

  1. Favorite quote from this review: "that was good but what it really needed was more eyeball parasites." Yes, I like shouting at the TV! This sounds like the movie for me!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ready Player One Review

What I liked: I bet all of the developers loved making this film, I saw so many video game and movie references in the background of scenes. I bet all the developers just inserted their favorites like the ninja turtles, a whole platoon of halo soldiers, and orcs. That it was a video game made it possible and exciting to have all kinds of absolutely random physics and logic defying things happen. Obviously, I loved the T. Rex and who would not enjoy seeing Mechagodzilla or a cyborg orc driving a monster truck? Early in the movie they made good use of the video game architecture in a way that reminded me a bit of secret rooms in super mario. The characters visit the world of the Shining, which was amazing and hilarious. I loved the variety of characters, vehicles and weapons that we get to see and it is more fun (at least for me) that they draw from more than strictly the 1980's. I also really liked the music, for the most part the selections were great for the scenes. The book was

Solo Reveiw

What I liked: The architecture of a heist movie has 4 stages: stage 1 explain how hard the job is, stage 2 come up with a ridiculously elaborate plan to accomplish the job and acquire hard to find equipment, stage 3 execute the plan but something goes terribly wrong, stage 4 sneaky twist and huge pay off. The Solo movie takes the bold move of streamlining the first two and a half steps, picking up with stage 3.5 "Something goes terribly wrong". This saves everyone the slow wind up to the actual action. This saved time translates into a movie with not one but all the heists. We have grand theft, customs evasion, train robbery, vault robbery, the classic hustle, and of course smuggling. I guess they may have tried to crowd too a little much in because they also almost always skip stage 4. This stage skipping also means that we don't know if the things they are doing are actually hard or they are just incompetent. I'm surprised more heist movies don't explore this

Wrinkle in Time Review

What I liked: I liked Charles Wallace, that kid was funny. I liked that the ladies in crazy dresses were warriors and that the kids were warriors too. You know me I'm all about a good action movie with awesome fighting, but I liked that at least in this universe the defining characteristics of warriors were compassion, kindness, and love. Similarly, I liked that the bad guys weren't launching a massive military conquest of the universe, I mean everyone is doing that these days. Surprisingly, I liked the Mrs's dresses. They were crazy and over the top but it was fun that they changed with every teleportation and that they were completely absurd. The outfits were rather like the Mrs's wearing them, over the top and fantastical. Knowing all of them from other shows I may have had some unfulfilled expectations. At no point did anyone say "You get a wrinkle, and you get a wrinkle, Everyone gets a wrinkle!" which I must admit was a little disappointing. I also think