Skip to main content

The Batman

What I liked: This Batman is different than any other Batman, it feels very different from the very first shots all the way through to the end. I still like other Batmans better, but I do applaud the film makers in making something completely different and presenting new version of very well known characters. This Batman fully embraces the gothic aesthetic. It doesn't just nod to it, it embodies it. Bruce Wayne, as far as I can tell lives in a gothic cathedral as does the mayor and the orphanage. Many of the buildings in Gotham have flying buttresses. This Batman is all about the dramatic spectacle. He poses a lot, which is kind of cool because it makes him look just like panels from a comic book, it's also a little absurdly funny. The Riddler did an excellent job of being manically homicidal. He was creepy and unnerving and much sneakier than Batman. The fights were all interesting, especially the hallway one, and I liked the contrast between Batman and Catwoman's styles. I liked that they focused much more on Batman as a detective. He walks around and finds clues and thinks about things. I liked his contact lenses but also think that they are probably very uncomfortable and strongly discourage anyone sharing contact lenses ever. The Batmobile was cool. It wasn't flying, building jumping thank cool but I would gladly drive that Batmobile. I liked that Batman was still figuring things out, he failed. He was in the wrong place at the wrong time. He missed clues. But he kept trying and he tried differently when his original plan backfired and ultimately, I think that is what made this Batman heroic. 

What I didn't: This Batman is the least sneaky Batman in the history of Batman. He is intimidating and scary so he has that on lockdown but stealth not so much. He walks very slowly with very, very loud footsteps. And he knocks. The noses. Every single person has a weird nose. People have broken noses. Penguin has a crooked nose. Batman and Riddler have noses on their masks that look like they were added as an afterthought. Catwoman's mask only has a nose, in case you are wondering, no, it is not at all effective in protecting her identity. Bruce Wayne had all the charisma of a mildewy washcloth and a hairstyle to match. The Riddler's plan didn't make much sense. It was internally consistent all the way up to the climax but then took a hard left into very crazy. Given that his is actually insane, I guess that isn't too surprising but still. Also I'm unclear on why Catwoman even tried working with Batman, they have very different approaches and goals and meeting him on the rooftop seemed more of a plot necessity than like it made sense. The bigger question is why did she fall in love with Batman? Clearly a bad choice and no support for it at all. How did they get the motorcycles off the balcony? Finally, Why? Why was there a voiceover? No one wants that. 

Who should watch this? People who wished that, in addition to being a serial killer, Heath Ledger's Joker sent greeting cards and live streamed riddles. Manufacturers of body armor and adrenaline injections. People who want the pace of an old time detective movie but with a substantially higher body count. 

Would I watch it again? I'll probably stick to my favorite Batman. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ready Player One Review

What I liked: I bet all of the developers loved making this film, I saw so many video game and movie references in the background of scenes. I bet all the developers just inserted their favorites like the ninja turtles, a whole platoon of halo soldiers, and orcs. That it was a video game made it possible and exciting to have all kinds of absolutely random physics and logic defying things happen. Obviously, I loved the T. Rex and who would not enjoy seeing Mechagodzilla or a cyborg orc driving a monster truck? Early in the movie they made good use of the video game architecture in a way that reminded me a bit of secret rooms in super mario. The characters visit the world of the Shining, which was amazing and hilarious. I loved the variety of characters, vehicles and weapons that we get to see and it is more fun (at least for me) that they draw from more than strictly the 1980's. I also really liked the music, for the most part the selections were great for the scenes. The book was

Solo Reveiw

What I liked: The architecture of a heist movie has 4 stages: stage 1 explain how hard the job is, stage 2 come up with a ridiculously elaborate plan to accomplish the job and acquire hard to find equipment, stage 3 execute the plan but something goes terribly wrong, stage 4 sneaky twist and huge pay off. The Solo movie takes the bold move of streamlining the first two and a half steps, picking up with stage 3.5 "Something goes terribly wrong". This saves everyone the slow wind up to the actual action. This saved time translates into a movie with not one but all the heists. We have grand theft, customs evasion, train robbery, vault robbery, the classic hustle, and of course smuggling. I guess they may have tried to crowd too a little much in because they also almost always skip stage 4. This stage skipping also means that we don't know if the things they are doing are actually hard or they are just incompetent. I'm surprised more heist movies don't explore this

Wrinkle in Time Review

What I liked: I liked Charles Wallace, that kid was funny. I liked that the ladies in crazy dresses were warriors and that the kids were warriors too. You know me I'm all about a good action movie with awesome fighting, but I liked that at least in this universe the defining characteristics of warriors were compassion, kindness, and love. Similarly, I liked that the bad guys weren't launching a massive military conquest of the universe, I mean everyone is doing that these days. Surprisingly, I liked the Mrs's dresses. They were crazy and over the top but it was fun that they changed with every teleportation and that they were completely absurd. The outfits were rather like the Mrs's wearing them, over the top and fantastical. Knowing all of them from other shows I may have had some unfulfilled expectations. At no point did anyone say "You get a wrinkle, and you get a wrinkle, Everyone gets a wrinkle!" which I must admit was a little disappointing. I also think