Skip to main content

Thor Love and Thunder

What I liked: The goats. The chaotic energy of 12ft tall screaming flying goats exactly encapsulates the energy of this movie. They tie in well with Norse mythology, they tie in with the comics, they make sense to include. But. They make no sense and are completely absurd. There was a lot of anticipation about Lady Thor and I liked her with a few caveats but what no one was expecting as was much more enjoyable was Bunny Thor. Lady Thor's hammer was very cool and did a good job of distinguishing her from Thor. The court of the gods was fun to see, of course the Greek gods were front and center but I enjoyed gods from other mythologies that I recognized. I liked the battle in the Shadow Realm, very cool visuals. And the battle in the court of the gods and the opening battle. Ok, I liked all the battles including the very brief Thor fashion battle. The shadow monsters were ok but could have been much creepier. 

What I didn't: The god butcher had very reasonable motivations and seemed pretty effective in most of his follow through. But I really think that he should have considered some different wording of his wish. Thor already had his giant curtain call. I like Thor but I would have liked to have had much more Lady Thor and Valkyrie in this movie. It should have been their story with him as a supporting character. Like I would have liked it if Lady Thor had acquired the hammer on her own rather than as a result of Thor's request. And along those lines the personification of the weapons bothered me. We spent so long with Thor talking to his hammer or his ax as a running joke. Them now coming semi alive with personalities is inconsistent and less funny, honestly. There were a lot of narration montages (3) which was at least 2 more than I would have liked. I would have liked to see Tiny Thor's Thor outfit. And what's up with Hercules? He's a demigod so really isn't much competition to just about all the full gods at the court of the gods. 

Who should watch this? People who missed the screaming goat craze about 10 years ago. People who like mythology. People who love Thor, you get so much more Thor in this movie. 

Would I watch it again? Yes

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ready Player One Review

What I liked: I bet all of the developers loved making this film, I saw so many video game and movie references in the background of scenes. I bet all the developers just inserted their favorites like the ninja turtles, a whole platoon of halo soldiers, and orcs. That it was a video game made it possible and exciting to have all kinds of absolutely random physics and logic defying things happen. Obviously, I loved the T. Rex and who would not enjoy seeing Mechagodzilla or a cyborg orc driving a monster truck? Early in the movie they made good use of the video game architecture in a way that reminded me a bit of secret rooms in super mario. The characters visit the world of the Shining, which was amazing and hilarious. I loved the variety of characters, vehicles and weapons that we get to see and it is more fun (at least for me) that they draw from more than strictly the 1980's. I also really liked the music, for the most part the selections were great for the scenes. The book was

Solo Reveiw

What I liked: The architecture of a heist movie has 4 stages: stage 1 explain how hard the job is, stage 2 come up with a ridiculously elaborate plan to accomplish the job and acquire hard to find equipment, stage 3 execute the plan but something goes terribly wrong, stage 4 sneaky twist and huge pay off. The Solo movie takes the bold move of streamlining the first two and a half steps, picking up with stage 3.5 "Something goes terribly wrong". This saves everyone the slow wind up to the actual action. This saved time translates into a movie with not one but all the heists. We have grand theft, customs evasion, train robbery, vault robbery, the classic hustle, and of course smuggling. I guess they may have tried to crowd too a little much in because they also almost always skip stage 4. This stage skipping also means that we don't know if the things they are doing are actually hard or they are just incompetent. I'm surprised more heist movies don't explore this

Wrinkle in Time Review

What I liked: I liked Charles Wallace, that kid was funny. I liked that the ladies in crazy dresses were warriors and that the kids were warriors too. You know me I'm all about a good action movie with awesome fighting, but I liked that at least in this universe the defining characteristics of warriors were compassion, kindness, and love. Similarly, I liked that the bad guys weren't launching a massive military conquest of the universe, I mean everyone is doing that these days. Surprisingly, I liked the Mrs's dresses. They were crazy and over the top but it was fun that they changed with every teleportation and that they were completely absurd. The outfits were rather like the Mrs's wearing them, over the top and fantastical. Knowing all of them from other shows I may have had some unfulfilled expectations. At no point did anyone say "You get a wrinkle, and you get a wrinkle, Everyone gets a wrinkle!" which I must admit was a little disappointing. I also think